Here are my favorite places to visit in Snaefellsnes Peninsula. It is often called Iceland in Miniature, since the Snaefellsnes peninsula unites most of the Icelandic national sights, including volcanoes and glaciers…
- This post contains affiliate links from which I earn a commission (at no extra cost to you). For more info, please read my disclosure. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Top Places to visit in Snaefellsnes peninsula, Iceland
The 100km-long Snæfellsnes peninsula is situated in western Iceland. It´s unbelievable how many diverse landscapes can be found in this small part of the country: dramatic volcanic peaks and fjords, sheer sea cliffs, impressive waterfalls, golden beaches, and spectacular lava fields. Even the famous Snæfellsjökull volcano, often regarded as one of the symbols of Iceland, is here. It is known worldwide as the setting of the novel “Journey to the Center of the Earth” by Jules Verne. Being the highest mountain on the peninsula, Snæfellsjökull reaches 1446 m and has a glacier at its peak.
On our way from the North to Reykjavik (Read more: Around Iceland in 5 days) we spent a day driving around the Snæfellsnes peninsula. Long story short: it is definitely worth visiting. Therefore, here you have all the stops, we´ve made on our Snæfellsnesroad trip.
1. Rauðfeldargjá gorge
Rauðfeldargjá Gorge is one of the most unique places to visit in Snaefellsnes Peninsula. It looks completely out of this world. You notice the place from the road and once you park, there is a short uphill hike to the gorge. You could have a look inside the gorge and follow a creek towards tiny waterfalls, by stepping on stones.
Our hotel was in this tiny beautiful village, so I got both morning and evening views. So peaceful…
Fjöruhúsið Café Restaurant – a nice place to have a coffee when the weather is good (Read more: Eating in Iceland). It is quite touristic though.
4. Lóndrangar cliffs
5. Saxholl Crater
7. Kirkjufell mountain and Kirkjufellsfoss waterfall
The place I loved the most is the Snæfellsnes peninsula. A lovely fisherman´s village, where we had a delicious dinner at Sjávarpakkhúsið restaurant (Read more: Eating in Iceland). There is a small mountain with a lighthouse there: a great idea If you want to get some panoramic views of the area or simply enjoy the sunset.
I wish we had more time to check out more epic places to visit in Snaefellsnes Peninsula, like Helgafell holy mountain and Vatnshellir cave. The spectacular lava fields and mountains on the road are also worth mentioning.
For more travel inspiration and useful tips about Iceland check my Iceland Pinterest Board.
- Accommodation: For short stays, I usually book via Agoda, Booking, and Hotellook
- Tours&excursions: My favorites for guided tours are GetYourGuide and Viator
- City breaks&sightseeing: Go City helps to avoid multiple entry fees and paper tickets
- Travel Insurance: find the best trip insurance plans via VisitorsCoverage, EKTA, and Insubuy
- Flights: To find the best deals I like WayAway and Aviasales
- Airport Lounge: Get independent airport lounge access worldwide via Priority Pass
- Train&bus tickets: Currently, I book via RailEurope, Omio, and Busbud
- Car rental: To find the best deals I use Rental Cars, Discover Cars, and GetRentalCar
- Transfers: For individual transfer services I like Kiwitaxi
- For Foodies: Eatwith is great for finding culinary experiences with locals
- Cruise Reviews: To find the best cruise offer I check out Cruise Critic
- Suitcases&Luggage: To eliminate problems of early arrivals/late departures I find helpful Radical Storage
- Compensation for delayed/canceled flights: AirHelp is useful for all flight cancellation or delay claims
- To avoid roaming fees I use Airalo eSIMs around the world
- Budget-friendly stays: Check Hostelworld to find the best deals around the world
- Events: To find the best offers I use Ticketmaster and TicketNetwork
- Renting Bikes: to find motorcycles, scooters, quads, and bicycles I use BikesBooking
- Package Tours: head to CheapOair, Expedia UK, Tourhub, and loveholidays
- For Bloggers: To monetize my blog I use Travelpayouts