Autumn is my favorite time of the year and Autumn in New York – is my favorite state of mind. When the summer heat is gone and Central Park is full of colors: orange is everywhere. And here they come, these cozy nights in curled up by a warm fire, hot chocolate on the way to work, and dream-like weather … both nostalgic and romantic!
- This post contains affiliate links from which I earn a commission (at no extra cost to you). For more info, please read my disclosure. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Autumn in New York: It´s all about the details
Colors and smells
Seriously, how not to love autumn?!
It blinds you with colors and smells while giving you this bitter-sweet feeling of gone summer mixed with new plans for the upcoming year. It is time to pause and start again. Warm drinks and seasonal smells feel deliciously intoxicating. The changing trees look like rainbows and leaves are crackling underfoot.
But above all, autumn is a time for new beginnings, new stories, and new hopes. In New York, there are always more potential beginnings, and both the stories and the hopes have a larger scale. This is probably the reason why autumn in New York brings to your heart this unique nostalgic feeling.
Not as hot as summer, not as cold as winter – just a perfect mix of warm days and chilly nights. Therefore, there is nothing like a walk in Central Park with the purple-blue sky and the soft breeze of a fall afternoon.
I love experiencing the seasons changing in the city of New York. But I´d say winter NYC and autumn in New York are two of my all-time favorites.
Tops things to do in New York in Autumn:
- start with Central Park, make a stop at Bow Bridge, Belvedere Castle, The Mall, Bethesda Fountain, Central Park Zoo, Bethesda Terrace, Conservatory Garden, Gapstow Bridge
- check the High Line Park (a modern park, elevated above the city on a former rail line) you can also spot here one of the most beautiful sunsets around the world along the Hudson River
- check some of the local festivals – Atlantic Antic Street Festival and New York Fashion Week in September, New York Film Festival, Coffee Festival and Oktoberfest in October, New York Comedy Festival in November
- visit Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- take the Ferry to Governors Island and enjoy the slower pace of life, as well as some amazing Manhattan skyline views
- depending on your visit date you can also check the big events like New York City Marathon, the Halloween parade in lower Manhattan, or The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade
Also read: Christmas in New York
Top things to feel about Autumn in New York:
- have a picnic in one of the NY parks and collect some fall leaves with your kids
- take a sip of Pumpkin Spiced Latte or Pumpkin Beer brewed at some of New York’s microbreweries
- if visiting in September, you can rent a bike or enjoy a gondola ride (you’d need to book in advance at The Loeb Boathouse)
- eat at one of the local Farmers’ markets, fall is the harvest season and the best time for foodies
- nature lovers could escape the city buzz for a while to enjoy one of the Hudson Valley hikes
- be the first one to hit Ice Skating Rinks in Central Park and Rockefeller Center (open since late October)
- go apple picking at one of the farms near New York
For more travel tips check my Pinterest Board America Travel.
- Accommodation: For short stays, I usually book via Agoda, Booking, and Hotellook
- Tours&excursions: My favorites for guided tours are GetYourGuide and Viator
- City breaks&sightseeing: Go City helps to avoid multiple entry fees and paper tickets
- Travel Insurance: find the best trip insurance plans via VisitorsCoverage, EKTA, and Insubuy
- Flights: To find the best deals I like WayAway and Aviasales
- Airport Lounge: Get independent airport lounge access worldwide via Priority Pass
- Train&bus tickets: Currently, I book via RailEurope, Omio, and Busbud
- Car rental: To find the best deals I use Rental Cars, Discover Cars, and GetRentalCar
- Transfers: For individual transfer services I like Kiwitaxi
- For Foodies: Eatwith is great for finding culinary experiences with locals
- Cruise Reviews: To find the best cruise offer I check out Cruise Critic
- Suitcases&Luggage: To eliminate problems of early arrivals/late departures I find helpful Radical Storage
- Compensation for delayed/canceled flights: AirHelp is useful for all flight cancellation or delay claims
- To avoid roaming fees I use Airalo eSIMs around the world
- Budget-friendly stays: Check Hostelworld to find the best deals around the world
- Events: To find the best offers I use Ticketmaster and TicketNetwork
- Renting Bikes: to find motorcycles, scooters, quads, and bicycles I use BikesBooking
- Package Tours: head to CheapOair, Expedia UK, Tourhub, and loveholidays
- For Bloggers: To monetize my blog I use Travelpayouts