Time stopped for a weekend in Lucerne. Definitely one of the most fairytale cities I´ve ever been. The air is so clean and fresh, the architecture is so beautiful and old-styled: all charming and magical.
The heart of the city is the Lucerne Lake with its transparent waters, surrounded by mountains and full of swans. In summer, when the weather is good, there are plenty of things to do. However, my trip was in December and it was very cold. Nevertheless, I got to experience the Swiss Christmas spirit.
Need to know:
The official currency is swiss franc. However, you can pay with a card almost everywhere. I even paid in euros for a taxi (I guess it´s not allowed, but some cab drivers prefer “euro-cash”, rather than “credit card”). You can always change money at the reception desk, but their rates are not very good. The population speaks German, however in some restaurants or touristic places they always speak English.
Almost all decent hotels in Lucerne are much more expensive compared to other European cities. If you like old luxury hotels with history, Palace Luzern Hotel could be a place for you. It has several restaurants and amazing rooms with lake views. Overpriced, though liked it: everything was made with taste. Nevertheless, it is still not the most amazing hotel I´ve ever been to, for a price we paid.
What to do:
- get some handmade Christmas presents at the local Christmas markets
- head to the Old City center with its tiny streets and beautiful shops
- visit the “Kapellbrucke” bridge and get a long walk by the lake
- if you like museums – visit Transport museum or Rosengart Collection
- don´t miss the skating rink, close to the train station
- local kitchen, everything with swiss cheese is delicious